Friday, August 17, 2007

I miss food lately.

I'm a true foodie. There's nothing better than good (and sometimes junk) food. I don't quite live to eat, but I revel in the joys of cooking and eating. And now I'm pregnant with my second child, still in the first trimester, and thus am subjected daily to frequent incurable bouts of 'morning' sickness caused by just about anything I try to eat - except veggies, orange juice, tea, ham and cheddar sandwiches slathered in mustard, PBJs, and oddly enough, the much ranted-about Eggs Benedict. Sometimes kiwi-strawberry Slush Puppies help, too. I went through a brief phase where homemade hamburgers smothered in cheese, bacon, grilled onions, and various other fixings were the only cure for what ailed me. I also went through a phase where my favorite healthy cereals made me wish I hadn't eaten them. I'm not allowed to eat raw sushi or sashimi, and even lunchmeat is supposed to be off the menu. Caffiene and alcohol are a thing of the past as well. There's enough that's off limits, so why do the things that are left have to make me so sick? I haven't been able to touch, smell, or even look at chocolate since this pregnancy started (and I'm not kidding about looking at chocolate - my mother sent me a link to some chocolate website and I thought I was going to lose my already tenuous hold on lunch). Tonight we made Swiss cheese fondue with French bread for supper and that made me sick, despite having had a ferocious craving for it all day. My three year-old daughter enjoyed it immensley, however, and would shriek "I caught one!" every time she speared a piece of bread with her pink-tipped fondue fork. She likes to pat me on the hand and tell me she'll "look after me" and console me when I feel sick "because there's too much babies in your tummy." She has a funny but heartwarming approach to pregnancy, and I can't wait til the morning sickness goes away and I can enjoy it more with her.

No comments: