Friday, July 4, 2008

What to do with fish.

I'm always a little uneasy around fish. I have a hard time envisioning creative preparations, particularly ones that my family will enjoy. Sure, I have a few safe standards - teriyaki for salmon or tuna, shrimp phat thai, and some nice pan-fried scallops. But still, my partner and daughter don't like anything spicy (she has an excuse - she's four), he hates salmon, and I have yet to try those really tasty scallops out on either of them. Anyway, I got a good deal on tilapia filets this week at the local grocery store, so I decided to try something a little different. Citrus and fish is generally a safe combination, so I've adapted Epi's recipe for pan-seared tilapia with chili-lime butter to suit my family's tastes and to better fit into my Weight Watchers Points. Add a couple of my favorite sides, and you have a tasty meal just about anyone can enjoy.

Pan seared tilapia with chili-lime butter; asparagus and shiitake saute; goat cheese mashed potatoes (serves 3)
Weight Watchers Points per serving: 9

1 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp finely chopped shallot
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
1/4 tsp salt

3 tilapia filets, about 500 g
1 Tbsp sunflower oil

2 tsp salted butter
75 g asparagus tips, preferably the small Thai variety
75 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 2-inch piece of leek (the light green and white part), sliced very thinly
1 tsp dried thyme (not ground)
1 tsp dried parsley

1 pound yellow-flesh potatoes
1 1/2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup vegetable broth or boullion

For tilapia:
Combine butter, shallot, lime zest and juice, chili paste, and salt well in a small bowl. Refrigerate until serving time. Pat fish filets dry and lightly salt on both sides; heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until golden-brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Serve with a dollop of chile-lime butter on top.

For saute:
Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add vegetables and herbs and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.

For potatoes:
scrub and peel potatoes; cut into half-inch thick slices. Boil in salted water until crumbly-tender. Drain well and return to pot. Add goat cheese and mash well. Add broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, mashing until potatoes are desired texture.

1 comment:

Nonni said...

Maya was talking about meatball subs the other morning, so even though I've now got the recipe (thank you!), I think you should pop it up here, with a photo? Please? Lots more readers than just me will appreciate it. ;-D