Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Irish food.

I have to declare myself disappointed in Epicurious.com's Going Global feature on Irish cooking. I have found past international features to be comprehensive and truly characteristic of a particular country's cuisine. However, their collection of "innovative and modern" Irish recipes by chef Paul Flynn sorely disappoints. There is not a single really Irish dish among them. I realize that Irish cuisine has suffered its hardships since the potato famine, but today there are a great number of cooks, both professional and otherwise, who serve up real Irish fare without all that frou-frou nonsense. And simply taking ingredients from Ireland and throwing a bunch together does not constitute Irish food.

I never thought I'd say this, but shame on you, Epicurious.

No comments: